Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Fun in the Sun....with a Twist!

Hi friends! So the beginning of my blogging hiatus kind of started after our whirlwind trip to Florida in February. We ventured down to visit Paul's parents, as we do every year. This year we planned to spend some time with them at their condo and then head to Universal to meet some friends and visit the park. Our trip started out with all the favorite things....time at the beach....
reading by the beach..... 
lunching at a favorite restaurant..... 
playing mah-jong with Grandama..... 
and reading some more.... 
Then on our third day there, Paul complained of a stomachache. I didn't think much of it and told him to just lay down after lunch. He continued to feel worse and worse and then finally decided around 6pm that we should go to urgent care. Paul is a pretty healthy guy and is not one to take any medicine or complain, so I knew something had to be off when he said he wanted to go to urgent care. They did some testing and bloodwork and said he needed a CT scan and would need to go to the ER. So off we went to the local hospital where we waited a long time. After a CT scan and an ultrasound they determined it was his gallbladder. There was a gall stone that somehow became "stuck", caused an infection and the only option was surgery! 
Even crazier was they did not offer the surgery at that hospital, so Paul was transported via ambulance to another hospital to spend the night and surgery was scheduled for the next day at 5pm. 
The kids stopped in for a visit the next day before surgery to say hi. Not the pic I thought we would have from our trip to Florida, but everybody was in good spirits. I was so thankful that we were with Paul's parents when this happened. Being in a hotel room or having to keep the kids at the hospital the whole time would have made for even more stress!
I spent most of the day reading in the waiting room.  
Surgery went well, but they wanted him to stay another day. At least he had a waterfront room! Ha! 
After a crazy 48 hours we left the hospital without a gall bladder...... 
The kids were happy to welcome him back home! 

Paul rested and I spent time with the kids at the pool. 
They were bummed about cancelling Universal, so we headed to an indoor trampoline park for some fun! 
And of course they requested Chik-Fil-A for dinner! 
The next day we celebrated National Margarita Day! I mean would you ever guess Paul just had surgery??? 
We went to Guanabana's, which is one of my most favorite restaurants ever! 
Luke enjoyed two of his favorites- steamed clams and a Pina Colada! 
I had two of my favs.. fish tacos and a margarita! 
Then we hit up the local mini-golf. Again- Paul had surgery 2 days prior to him mini-golfing! 
We packed up and began our drive back home. I drove the first day and we got to Charlotte. I saw the Charlotte Hornets had a home game and grabbed some really cheap tickets on StubHub. So we made the most of our night there and went to the game. 

If you have not been to an NBA game, I highly recommend it! They are so action packed- such fun family time! 
We finished the second half of our journey home the next day. Back to reality, laundry..... 
And this cute little face! 

Once we got home from that trip, I think I was just mentally exhausted. After the first couple months in a new job and then the craziness of the trip I took a break from the blogging world. It was feeling more like having to get a post written or a recipe shared instead of blogging because I wanted to. 
But I have really missed it. It is definitely an outlet for me and I am so happy to get back into it. 
Can't wait to share some more with you soon. See you Friday... there is always room for one more at our family table. 


  1. Welcome back, Genevieve!

    Sounds like you had quite the crazy few months. I am hoping that everything has settled down with your husbands health and that you are getting used to being back to work full-time. Hope you will share some details on how the job change has impacted day to day life at "the family table".

  2. Glad you’re back to blogging. I’ve missed your updates but glad Paul recovered quickly and you enjoyed the much needed rest from social media.